In this article, we will tell you how to expand icon cache size in Windows 11. So, let’s get started
Windows 11 is the recent window introduced in the marketplace. It is considered an efficient and fastest window than its prior versions. People love to do their office work, assignments, or projects on Windows PC. They should go for Windows 11 as this makes completing their task easier. It has several features like multiple desktops, swiping more than one desktop, data privacy & security, malware protection, home & lock screen wallpapers, expand icon size, and so on. It displays file icons within File Explorer in a special cache and its file’s size is about 500 KB. So, the cache should be at least a little bigger as it will help Explorer to load more icons fast.
How to Expand Icon Cache Size in Windows 11
You can tweak the registry to expand the icon cache size and follow the simple steps:
- Head to the Start menu and type regedit in a search bar, click it
- Tap Run as administrator for the Registry Editor search result
- Now, type the key path inside Registry Editor’s address bar: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
- If no a Max Cached Icons string appears within the Explorer key then, right-click Explorer > tap New
- Choose the Key option then, input Max Cached Icons under Value name
- Now, input 4096 within the Value data box to expand the size to about 4 megabytes. You can also increase the value but, remember that cache will occupy more storage space
- Choose Ok to close the Value data box and restart Windows 11 after editing the registry
However, if you want to restore the size by adjusting the value of the Max Cached Icon string or deleting it. The default size value of the cache is 512 KB. Well, to erase the Max Cached Icon string simply, right-click it within the Explorer registry key specified as above then, select Delete > tap Yes.
Moreover, 500KB is not considered sufficient to increase the cache size. If File Explorer does not load file icons in large folders especially promptly on a PC. Then, increasing the cache size is considered effective to boost it up. Well, Explorer will show the icons quicker when expanding the size of a cache to 4 megabytes.
That’s it, guys! The above-mentioned steps will surely help you to expand the cache size in Windows 11. We hope that you liked our article How to Expand the Icon Cache Size in Windows 11. For any queries, do let us know and also, share your reviews in the comment box mentioned below.