In this article, we will tell you some of the fixes to Fix Windows Update 66a. So, let’s get started!
Windows is considered the fast and efficient operating system that is used by almost every person in offices (or home) all over the globe. These devices help you to make your task done without wasting extra time. However, sometimes a Windows update error code known as 66a occurs in OS devices which might affect your work. This makes devices a bit slower too. So, if you are facing this issue then, don’t get worried there is a way out. Well, this issue is reported in several versions of Windows OS and the main reason behind this issue is malware or virus attack as well as can possibly result in a corrupt file or incomplete installation of a file (i.e., the .NET framework is operating and during the Windows registry corruption).
Fix Windows Update 66a Error
Windows Update error code 66a commonly occurs when the .NET framework operates or during the device shutdown or startup process. If you are also facing this issue then, try out the fixes mentioned below:
1: Run SFC scan
The first and foremost solution is to run an SFC scan to get rid of Windows Update error code 66a. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Head to the Start menu’s search bar and type cmd to launch the Command Prompt window. Also, make sure to launch it with administrator access.
- Now, type sfc/scannow in a Command prompt window and hit enter.
- Wait until the scanning process completes by itself and then, restart your PC to check whether the issue is resolved or not.
2: Scan your PC for malware
If the above-mentioned step seems time taking then, alternatively you can make use of malware scanning tools online. Most people have tried to get rid of Window Update error code 66a. So, you should also give the tools a try. As there are multiple Malware scanning tools online that are considered safe to use and are free of cost.
3: Perform a clean boot
Some .Net framework operating apps create a software conflict causing Windows Update error code 66a. Such apps run in the background when starting the PC every time so, performing a boot is considered the best solution. Before moving ahead, you should log in with administrator access. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Head to the Start menu’s search bar and type msconfig to launch the System Configuration window. Also, make sure to launch it with administrator access.
- Inside a Configuration window, navigate to the Service tab in a vertical menu and click the checkbox of Hide all Microsoft service options.
- Now, click the Disable all tab, then, again go to the vertical menu, choose the StartUp tab and click the Open Task Manager option.
- In a task manager window, navigate to the StartUp tab > right-click the problematic entry on a list below > choose disable.
- When done, close the task manager window and again, open the System Configuration window and click OK.
- Now, restart your PC to check whether the issue is resolved or not.
4: Rerun Windows Update
Windows Update error code 66a may occur due to an incomplete Windows update installation. So, you are required to rerun the update and make sure that the update is completed. To do so, follow the steps:
- Head to the Start menu’s search bar, type update & security, and click it.
- Inside a window, click the check for updates option to let the updates completed automatically
- Now, restart your PC to make the latest installation applicable.
- When done, check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Also see: How to Add Someone on Telegram
5: Revert Windows Update Changes
You can also resolve the issue by reverting Windows update changes by following the simple steps given below:
- Press Windows+I keys simultaneously to launch the Settings app on a screen.
- Now, click the Update & security option > choose recovery placed on the left pane.
- On the right side under the Go back to the previous version of Windows 10 section, choose Get started.
- Keep your files and then, start the resetting process.
- When done, check whether the issue is get resolved or not.
6: Run System Restore in Safe Mode
You can run the system restore in a safe mode to resolve the Windows update error code 66a by following the simple steps:
- Shut down your PC and start it again.
- Navigate the Run in Safe Mode > press enter.
- Now, head to the Start menu > type System restore in a search bar > hit enter.
- Follow the prompts and revert back to restore when the issue doesn’t exist.
- When done, restart your PC again.
7: Reinstall .NET Framework
Reinstalling .NET framework will surely resolve the Windows update error code 66a. To do so, follow the steps:
- Head to the Start menu > type Control Panel in a search bar > hit enter.
- Navigate the Programs & Feature option > scroll and locate the .NET framework from a list.
- Right-click it and choose the uninstall option. Now, follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Restart your PC again and navigate to the original .NET framework website to download its latest version.
- Double-click the executable file and follow the prompts to install the .NET framework.
That’s it. The above-mentioned steps will let you help to resolve the 66a error code to update Windows. These fixes will surely help you and you should be able to use your system and dedicated programs swiftly all again. Try these steps out and tell us which solution works best for you. We hope that you liked our article How to fix Windows Update error code 66a. For any queries, do let us know and also, share your reviews in the comment box mentioned below.