In this article, we’ll show you how you can get a word or character counter in Microsoft Word.
Microsoft Word is one of the well-known apps that is used worldwide for making assignments, writing a thesis, and so on. It works quite efficiently and is loved by most people. It has several features like creating a custom tab, quick parts, Adding placeholder text, editing wrap points when wrapping text, converting a list to a table, converting a bulleted list to SmartArt, character count, and so on. However, knowing a word or character is necessary, especially writing a blog, work assignments, legal documents, or academic papers.
How to Get a Character Count in Microsoft Word
In other cases, you want to know the number of characters than words like posting on social media, writing SMS/email, posting a comment, and so on.
However, MS Word has a feature that enables you to track the number of characters, paragraphs, words, lines, or pages of a document. Well, in this article, we will tell you how to get a character count in MS Word. So, let’s go ahead!!
Get Character Count from the Review tab of Microsoft Word
MS Word has a built-in feature known as Word Count that not only allows you to view the characters but, also words, paragraphs, or lines. It counts the words or characters while typing which be viewed in a Word Count feature. Well, to do so, follow the steps given below:
- Open a Word document in which you want to know the number of characters
- Go to the Review tab placed at the top and click the Word Count option placed in a proofing section
- A dialog box will appear with the number of characters (including space or without space). Also, it shows the number of words, paragraphs, lines, and pages in a new document.
- At the bottom of a dialog box, check the Include textboxes, footnotes, and endnotes option where you can add text boxes, footnotes, and endnotes in a count. When done, click Close to close it.
Get Character Count for Specific Text in Word
If you like to know the number of characters in a specific sentence, paragraph, page, or section. Simply, follow the simple steps:
- Select only a specific text or paragraph and click the Word Count option placed in the Review tab
- It will show you the count for a specifically selected text only.
Also see: 5 Ways to Save Image From Google Docs
View Character Count from the Status Bar
MS Word has a Word Count feature that automatically tells you the words as you type in a document and is displayed in a Status Bar. It shows word count only but not characters by default. Well, you can enable the character count in a status bar to view the count. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Right-click a status bar placed at the button of a window and choose Character Count (if enabled, it is marked with a tick mark).
- That’s it. Now, you can view the character count also as you type in MS Word.
View Character Counter with a Single Click
You can add a Word Count button in a Quick Access Toolbar and by using it to view the number of characters immediately. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Open a Word document, right-click anywhere on a ribbon and choose to Add to Quick Access Toolbar from a list. Alternatively, go to File menu > select Options
- In a Word option, choose the Quick Access Toolbar placed on the left side and choose All Commands
- Scroll a list of commands and click Word Count. Then, click it and choose to Add in a middle
- Click Ok to save the changes
- When done, you can click on it to view the character count quickly
View the Character Count in Word Online
If you like to use documents in MS Word online then, you can also view the word count using a similar method. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Head to the Web browser, open office.live.com, and log in to your Microsoft account. Then, click a Word icon placed on the left side of a screen
- Now, either create a new document or start typing in an existing document in which you want to know the number of characters
- Go to the Review option in a menu bar and choose Word Count. Then, select Word Count from a menu
- A dialog box will appear containing several words, characters (including space and no space), and paragraphs. Click Close to close it.
Use Online Character/Word Counter Websites
Numerous websites let you count lines, words, characters, and paragraphs in a document. These websites are easy to use. Simply, copy the content of a document and paste it into any of the online tools. A few websites let you upload the content and count the characters in it. Some online word & character counters like thewordcounter, wordcounter, keywordtool, charactercountonline, and so on. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Open a document in which you want to know the characters
- Select the entire document by pressing Ctrl + A and then, press Ctrl + C to copy the content.
- Head to the online counter tool and paste the content into it by pressing Ctrl + V
- However, the website will count the number of characters and words automatically and display it.
That’s it, guys! We hope that you liked our article How to Get a Character Count in Microsoft Word and surely prove helpful to you. For any queries, let us know and share your reviews in the comment section below.