PC getting slow and you need to clean up junk files and other stuff to make it fast? You can use disk cleanup app on Windows 11 for this.
Over time when you keep using a PC, system files, cached files, and other unnecessary files keep on getting pilled up that block your secondary storage. Usually, the files are not large sufficient to generate a hasty shortage of storage on a system but, if it has ages that removed anything up or on the flip side, you are running low space then firstly, it is better to remove the unnecessary files. Moreover, giving your PC some room to breathe in terms of storage can also help maintain its longevity and performance.
However, Disk Cleanup is a built-in Windows app that enables you to remove unnecessary files from a system. Similarly, it also provides you with bifurcation by a variety of files that are no longer needed and hence, can be removed safely from a PC. Well, in this article, how to run Disk Cleanup & Storage Sense on Windows 11. So, let’s get started!!
How to Use Disk Cleanup on Windows 11
In the earlier versions of Windows, the ‘Disk Cleanup’ option was located on each drive’s ‘Properties’ window. Yet, it has now been removed but, you can either access the Disk Cleanup wizard via the Start Menu (or the ‘Run’ utility). To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Head to the Start Menu and type Disk Cleanup on a search bar > from the search results, click the ‘Disk Cleanup’ tile to open the wizard. Alternatively, you can initiate the Disk Cleanup wizard via the Run utility. Simply, press the Windows+R keys simultaneously on a keyboard to open the Run utility. Then, type cleanmgr in the text box and hit Enter.
- On the Disk Clean up wizard window, click the drop-down menu to reveal the list of all the storage drives. Then, click to select one of the drives you wish to run on the Disk Cleanup.
- Click the ‘OK’ button to let Windows PC all the unnecessary files be cleaned up.
- When computed, another disk cleanup window will open on a screen. By default, some categories of the files are already selected. Now, scroll the list to view all the files that can be cleaned up and select an individual category by clicking the checkbox preceding each list.
- When you select your preferred category of files to delete, click the ‘OK’ button to proceed further. This will bring an overlay prompt on a screen.
- Click the ‘Delete Files’ button to remove all the selected categories of files from a PC.
That’s it. Now, you successfully removed all the unnecessary files from your system via the Disk Cleanup.
Cleanup Automatically using Storage Sense on your Windows 11 PC
If you are not interested to do manual labor every time i.e., running low on disk space and wish to maintain the peak performance of your Windows PC. Then, you can also enable Storage Sense on your PC. It automatically cleans up your storage drives when your PC is running low on space. Moreover, it can clean up temporary system files and app files. You can also create a schedule to run Storage Sense on your Windows 11 PC periodically.
To do so, follow the simple steps given below:
- Head to the Start Menu and click the ‘Settings’ tile placed under the ‘Pinned apps’ section. You can also type Settings into the menu to perform a search for it.
- On the ‘Settings’ window, make sure you have selected the ‘System’ tab placed on the left sidebar of a window to proceed.
- From the right section of the window, locate and click the ‘Storage’ tile to proceed further.
- On the next screen, locate the ‘Storage management’ section and click the toggle button placed on the far right edge of a tile to make it ‘On’.
- Now, if you wish to tweak Storage Sense settings, click the tile to proceed ahead.
- On the next screen, click the checkbox preceding the single option placed under the ‘Clean up temporary files’ section to clean up temporary system files and app files automatically.
To Create a Periodic Schedule, follow below:
- If you wish to create a periodic schedule for Storage Sense then, head to the ‘Configure cleanup schedules’ section > click the drop-down menu placed under the ‘Run Storage Sense’ option.
- Click to select a preferred frequency. If you constantly storing loads of data and are always low on storage memory? Choosing the ‘Weekly’ frequency is considered a good option.
- Click the drop-down menu available below the ‘Delete my files in recycling if they have been there for over’ option and select days of your choice to permanently delete your files from a system.
- If you wish to delete files in the ‘Downloads’ folder which you have not opened for some time then, click the drop-down menu placed under the ‘Delete files in my Downloads folder if they haven’t been opened for more than’ option.
- Click to choose the number of days of your choice of deleting the downloaded files.
- When you have configured the settings according to your preference. Click the ‘Run Storage Sense now’ button placed at the bottom of a page to run the wizard directly.
That’s it, guys! Also, make sure to always have some free storage memory on a PC to keep its optimum performance. Well, we hope that this article How to Use Disk Cleanup on Windows 11 proves helpful to you. For any queries, do lets us know and also, share your knowledge with us in the comment box mentioned below.