There is always an attraction to check yourself over the internet. So, if you want to know who’s looking for you online, we are sharing six different ways to find out.
People love to use social media while some people keep an eye on some people via some websites. There are several ways to check who is looking for you online. However, if you have ever Googled your name then, you may notice that there are plenty of places where people can find information about you online. These sources might include Google itself, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and so on. Fortunately, most of these resources have monitoring services that you can use to get alerts whenever someone searches for your name.
However, there are some easy things to do that you can use either to set up alerts or monitor when people look up your name using the internet. This can be done on LinkedIn, Twitter, Google Alerts, Google Analytics (on a site with your name/domain), Facebook Stories, Facebook friend list algorithm. Well, in this article, we will tell you 6 easy ways to find out who is looking for you online. So, let’s get started!
Find Out Who’s Looking for You Online
Following are the six ways mentioned below:
1. LinkedIn Profile Views
People can search for your name from inside LinkedIn, or they can discover your profile using Google and access your public profile information that way. LinkedIn gives members an easy way to see who viewed your profile. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- To see this information, log in to your LinkedIn account. Under your profile name placed on the left side of a screen, there appears a link named Who’s viewed your profile.
- To the right of that link, you check out how many people have recently viewed your profile. Simply, to see more details, click the link.
- Scroll down to the All profile viewers section (i.e., here you can see some details about who recently viewed your LinkedIn Account).
However, this information includes:
- What company do they work for
- How do they find out your profile
- Which of your LinkedIn contacts are also connected with that person
- How long ago did they view your profile
Unluckily, you can not see the whole list of people who have viewed your profile without buying a Premium LinkedIn membership. Well, if you do need to know who’s viewing your LinkedIn profile then, premium membership is a good option.
2. Create Google Alerts for Your Name
It is the most common tool that people will use to look for information about you on the internet is Google. While you may not be able to monitor who’s searching for your name using Google, you can monitor when new information is published with your name on the internet. To do so, follow the steps:
- To create an alert for when anything gets published mentioning your name, visit Google Alerts.
- Make sure that you are already logged into your Google Account. In the Create an alert about the field, type your name and select Create Alert.
- Whenever you add either anything to your Google Alert list or anytime Google has a new search entry for a website containing your name. Then, you will receive an email for that google alert. This email will have websites links that have mentioned your name.
However, you will notice that at the bottom of the email, click a link to receive the alerts as an RSS feed. This will allow you to add the feed to any kind of feed reader that you may use.
3. Facebook Story Viewers
One of the most common requests Facebook users have is to see is who viewed their Facebook profile. Unluckily, there is no way to do it. Yet, there are areas of Facebook where you can see the people who have visited. To do so, follow the steps:
- If you make a regular Facebook post, the only way to know who viewed your post is how many people have “liked” the post itself. There is no way to see every one of your friends who looked at this post.
- However, that is not the case when you add to your Facebook Stories. If you select the field to enter a Facebook post, you will notice that you can switch the post from News Feed to Your Story.
- You can post up to 20 seconds of video (or image) to your Facebook Story. The post will remain active for 24 hours then disappears.
- When you post to your Story, you will notice an eye icon placed at the lower-left corner of the post with a number next to it. The number represents the number who have viewed the post. If you click the eyeball icon, you can see your specific friends who have viewed the post.
- If you view your Facebook news feed, you can see a link to Your Story placed to the right. To the left of this, you can see your profile photo with a + symbol. If you click this, you can view all your recent story posts (such that which of your friends have viewed those posts).
- It is painful that Facebook does not offer this feature for regular posts. At least when you post to your Story list, you can see all of your friends who have viewed the post.
4. Facebook Friends Algorithm
It is not feasible to see a list of friends who viewed your specific Facebook posts but, there is an indirect way to see which friends interact the most with your Facebook profile. Well, no one knows the specific details of Facebook’s algorithm for the order they display their friends in your friends’ list. But, there is enough research conducted to know that all the following factors are considered and they are as under:
- Facebook Interactions: How frequently you have interacted with friends on Facebook.
- Profile Views: How frequently friends have viewed your profile, or you viewed theirs.
- Photo Tagging: Friends that tagged you in photos.
- Wall Posts: Friends who posted recently on your wall.
- Likes: How often friends liked your posts, or you liked theirs.
- Commenting: Frequency you or friends commented on each other’s posts or pictures.
- Photos: How often you have viewed each other’s pictures.
- Online: If friends are currently online, they are
- More likely to show up at the top of your friend list.
Since the most common activity on Facebook is viewing friends’ profiles and posts without interacting with them. The chances are good that the friends at the top of your friend’s list are the friends who view your profile and your posts most often.
5. Twitter Viewers to Check Who’s Looking for You
Twitter provides a bit more information about your Twitter followers than Facebook does, but still doesn’t provide the names of the people who are looking for you there. However, you can learn a lot about the people who are interacting with your Tweets. To do so, follow the instructions:
- To see your audience information, you will need to use Twitter Analytics. You can do this by clicking the down arrow placed beside your profile name and selecting Analytics. This page will show who is your top follower and the general performance of all your tweets.
- You can click the View followers dashboard to view general details about your Twitter audience.
- You can see demographics like gender, household income, and the interests of your followers. This may not tell you the names of people looking for you on Twitter. At least it tells you their interests so, tailor the topics you tweet about for your followers.
6. Create a Profile Site with Google Analytics
Blogging platforms like WordPress on Google Sites, it is very easy to build your profile website filled with info about your background and experience. A profile website is a fantastic way to easily share your background and career experience with potential employers.
- In the time it also becomes a top search result when people search for your name if you purchased a website domain for your name.
- This will become a likely website most people will click it when they look for you online.
- If you embed Google Analytics into this site, you can gather a lot of info about the people who are looking for info about you on the web.
- Google Analytics does not provide the names of the people who visit your site but, you can learn just about anything else. For example, Google Analytics will provide:
- Frequency of visits
- Search terms used
However, this info gives you some understanding of the type of people who are searching for you online. If you are a writer or in any other business where you provide info to people. This info can help you tailor your work toward the demographics of the people who look for your work.
Who’s Looking for You?
You have seen above that LinkedIn and other social media sites are the best ways to see specifically who’s looking for you online. But, Google Alerts and your site can provide more insights as well. The approach you take depends on what kind of info about those people you wanna know.
That’s it, guys! We hope that you like our article 6 Easy Ways to Find Out Who’s Looking for You Online and it will surely prove helpful to you. For any queries, do let us know and mention your queries in the comment section mentioned below.