Web pages demand a smaller size image and cropping the images is not a good option. So, let’s see how we can reduce image size easily.
People either after getting a particular skill or completing studies search for a good job for a better future. A job can either be office-based or as a freelancer but during applying for a job there is a demand for documents or a picture of a specific size. Well, that is a common issue that almost everyone experiences from time to time. But, fortunately, you can reduce the file size of your pictures with help of various ways.
Moreover, you can compress your images, change your image resolution, or remove the metadata from your images to reduce file size. Well, in this article, we will tell you how to reduce the File Size of an image or picture with the help of online tools. So, let’s get started!
Reduce File Size of Image or Picture
There are a number of tools that can help you to reduce the size of the image or a file. It is not necessary to install these tools on your PC to utilize them. They can easily be used on a web browser. We will tell you the most widely used tools used for this purpose. They are as under:
1. Use TinyPNG to Compress Images
TinyPNG is one of the well-known online tools in the marketplace. It is used to compress images or files and is free of cost. In this tool, you only have to upload the image and the tool compresses the image for you. Also, you can compress one image or multiple images with this tool. This site also mentions PNG and JPG with the images too. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Access the TinyPNG site in a web browser on your PC.
- Now, select the upload icon placed in the middle to upload your photos.
- Upload the photos that you want to compress (also, remember you can upload as many as 20 images with a single click).
- When the photos are uploaded, TinyPNG will begin compressing them.
- If you have uploaded one photo then, select Download placed next to the photo name to download the compressed version of your photo.
- If you have uploaded more than one photo then, select Download all to get a ZIP archive that contains all your compressed photos.
2. Use Image Smaller to Reduce the Image File Size
Image Smaller is also a famous site that is used to compress the image of files. This site is free of cost and it supports several image formats, including JPG, PNG, GIF, and TIFF. You can upload images of size up to 50MB. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Open the Image Smaller site in a web browser on your PC.
- On the site, select Select Image File and choose the image or images to compress.
- Wait for the site to reduce your image’s size.
- When the image is compressed, select Download to download the compressed image.
However, the download page displays your image’s original as well as compressed size. Well, in this way, you know how much your image has been compressed.
3. Use Kraken to Reduce the Picture File Size
Kraken is also used to compress the images with paid services but there are some settings in this site that can be done free of cost. These settings are considered good enough to reduce the size of an image without any interruptions. To do so, follow the steps given below:
Also see: How to Reset Microsoft Edge
- Open the Kraken site in your web browser.
- From the Select optimization mode section, choose Lossless i.e., to ensure your image is resized without too much influence on the quality of an image.
- Select the upload icon and upload the image you want to compress.
- It will start compressing your image. You will see the progress bar placed at the bottom of the site.
- When your image is fully compressed, select Download File to download the image to your PC.
Change the Image Resolution to Reduce the Image Size
Another way to reduce your image’s size can be done by changing the image’s resolution. Also, this can have an impact on the image quality. Well, on Windows 10, there are more than one ways to change an image’s resolution.
1. Use Paint to Change an Image’s Resolution
You can use Windows 10’s built-in Paint app to change the resolution of images. In this way, you do not require to download or install any third-party apps on your PC.
- Open the folder that contains the image you want to reduce the size for.
- Right-click the image > select Open with and select Paint from the list.
- When the image opens in Paint, select Resize placed at the top.
- In the Resize and Skew window that opens, select Pixels from the Resize section.
- In the Horizontal box, enter the new width of your photo in pixels (remember this should smaller than the current width).
- You do not have to specify anything in the Vertical field (i.e., it will automatically get the right dimensions based on the Horizontal field’s value).
- Select OK placed at the bottom of the window to save your changes.
- Select File > then, Save as option & choose an image format to save your compressed image.
2. Use Shutterstock to Reduce an Image’s Size
Shutterstock is well-known for its stock photos storage. Besides presenting thousands of stock photos, the site also offers an online image resizer (free of cost). This online tool is also used to change the resolution of your images, making your images smaller in terms of file sizes. To do so, follow the simple steps given below:
- Head to the Shutterstock Image Resizer site on your browser.
- On the site, select Upload and choose the images you like to compress.
- In the Step 2 section on the site, select the Select an image size from the dropdown menu and choose a new resolution for your photo.
- To specify custom dimensions, select Custom from the dropdown menu
- Now, enter the custom width and height of the photo in the given boxes.
- Finally, select Download to download the resized image to your PC.
Use Adobe Photoshop to Compress an Image
If you are using Adobe Photoshop on your PC then, there is an option in this program that allows you to selectively reduce the size of your images. Also, you have numerous quality and file size options to choose from this Photoshop. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Launch Adobe Photoshop on your PC.
- Select File > Open and load the photo of which you want to reduce the size.
- When the photo opens in Photoshop then, select File > Save for Web from Photoshop’s menu bar.
- At the top-right corner of this window, select the dropdown menu placed right beneath (not next) Preset and choose JPEG format.
- Select the dropdown menu placed below JPEG and choose Medium.
- At the bottom of the photo preview on the left corner, you will see the size of your photo via current settings applied to it.
- If this file size is still too large then, select Low from the menu where you chose Medium.
- When you are satisfied then, choose the Save placed at the bottom.
Remove Image’s Metadata to Reduce the File Size
Many images have certain information saved in them and this information is called metadata. This usually includes details like the name of the camera used to capture the image, diverse camera settings when the photo was captured, and more. Well, if you do not plan to use this information, you can remove this information which will reduce the file size of your image.
Note: You would not see a substantial difference in your image’s file size because the metadata usually does not use too much space.
To do so, follow the simple steps:
- On your Windows PC, right-click the image of your choice to reduce the file size and choose Properties.
- Select the Details tab in the Properties window.
- At the bottom of the Details tab, select the Remove Properties and Personal Information option.
- On a screen, choose Create a copy with all possible properties removed and select OK placed at the bottom.
- Windows will create a copy of your image in the same folder (almost like an original image). This copied version’s image has all the metadata removed from it.
With the diverse methods mentioned above, you can quickly and efficiently reduce the file size of images of your choice. Moreover, you can either use web-based tools if you do not like installing apps or use installable programs to compress your images.
That’s it, guys. We hope that this article proves How to Reduce the File Size of an Image or Picture proves helpful to you. Also, share your reviews, and don’t forget to share this article. For any queries, do let us know in the comment section mentioned below.