Want to check where your friends are? We’ll share with you how you can track their location via Facebook messenger.
People love to stay in contact with one another either via using social apps (or by arranging meet-up plans). This makes them keep in touch in their happy or sad moments. There are a number of ways to make a bond stronger but now, people mostly prefer apps (or websites) to enjoy the moments either via playing games, voice or video calls, and so on. You can also track someone’s location and check the weather either. Well, Facebook Messenger is also one of the well-known apps that has a number of features like you can share photos, call people, play games, transfer files, and so on.
Moreover, it can track someone’s location quite easily. This feature is made for parents to keep an eye on their kids or if you want to meet a friend then, this app is quite helpful. Well, in this article, we let you know how you can track their location via Facebook messenger. So, let’s get started!
Tracking Location via Facebook Messenger
Before moving further, firstly, download the Facebook Messenger app on a PC or mobile. You can track someone’s location easily using this app. To do so, follow the four simple and easy steps mentioned below:
1. Location Sharing
The location-sharing feature is easy to use and allows you to share your location with your friends. It saves time and effort to check where someone is. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Open the Facebook Messenger app and message a person you like to share your location with.
- Tap the four-dots icon placed at the bottom-left part of your screen (or if you have an iOS device, the four-dots should appear as a plus sign)
- Now, tap the arrow icon that says ‘Location’
- Select the ‘Share Live Location’ option or if you want to stop sharing a live location anytime; just tap ‘Stop Sharing‘
Moreover, for meet-ups, it is considered useful to share a static point. For e.g., your friend may share his/her location so you can reach there where he/she is. In this case, tap a location icon or ‘More’ and search a place you wish to share or simply drag & drop the arrow pin on a map. Finally, tap the ‘Send’ option to share it on Messenger. Hence, this is considered a great solution for tracking your one’s phone if he/she is one of those people who always forget things.
There is an indirect way of checking someone’s location is via using Facebook’s location tags or #hashtags. You can do this by following the two ways i.e.,
Check Facebook Stories
To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Open Facebook Messenger and tap ‘People’ placed at the bottom right then, tap ‘Stories’ placed at the top right corner.
- You will see Stories uploaded from your friend’s list and tap on a story you would like to view.
- If there appears a location tag in one of the stories then, tap it and select the ‘Show Location’ option.
- You will be redirected to Google Maps, where you will be able to see the details of your friend’s current location.
Note: If you would like to use Facebook then, you can view Stories placed on the upper part of a home page.
Uploaded Pictures or Videos
To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Open the Facebook app and tap the search bar placed on a top of a page.
- Search for your friend’s name then, click their profile.
- Scroll down their feed and search out their most recent uploads (whether it is a video or a photo).
- If there appears a location tag, tap it then, you will redirect to a Facebook page that shows more info about the place.
Moreover, for #hashtags, the same steps should be followed. But, keep in mind that both #hashtag and tag location can’t reveal the person’s exact location. Well, this step is not considered much effective than the first step.
3. Third-Party Apps
Tracking location starts to become less consensual and more privacy-invasive. This requires direct permission of a person of which you wanna know the location but, it can’t be much easy. So, in order to find someone’s location, there is an availability of third-party apps (also called as Facebook messenger spy apps) like uMobix and IPLogger. Both these apps not only allow you to read someone’s Facebook messenger texts but also, show you the location of a phone (24 hrs daily).
Generate a URL
You have to generate a URL to track the location of someone. To do so, follow the simple steps:
- Head to the Grabify IP Logger website and enter any URL link (for e.g: youtube.com).
- Click ‘Create URL’ and a pop-up box appears to ask for approval simply, click ‘I agree & Create URL’.
- You will be directed to a new page where a new URL is generated for you so, Copy this link.
- Now, use this link to send it to your friend or family on Facebook Messenger.
When this link is clicked by your friend once then, you will be able to view the statistics by IP address, country or city, device used, and so on – on the Grabify IP Logger site.
4. Nearby Friends
The nearby Friends feature can be utilized by the actual Facebook app and it allows you to share your location with your friends so that, they can easily reach you. When installing the FB app then, follow the simple steps given below:
- Open the Facebook app and Turn on Location Services and Background Location.
- Tap the three-line menu on your phone (i.e., on Android, it is placed at the top right corner and on iOS, it is placed at the bottom right)
- Tap the Nearby Friends option and then, select the ‘Get Started’ option
- You will see a pop-up screen to control your privacy settings and choose to share your location with all your friends (or with specific people). Then, tap ‘Next’ when done.
- Tap the toggle to turn on the Nearby Friends option and to turn it off simply, tap this icon again.
Moreover, when this feature is enabled then, you will be able to see your friends and your list will appear according to the nearest location and so on. Well, this feature is mostly used for real-life meetups between friends and colleagues.