You got a Roku TV but don’t know how to cast a video on it, this guide will help you learn how you can cast to Roku TV from your Mobile or PC.
In this advanced world, people love to spend watching TV (either via apps or Television) in their free time. This makes their time more fun and enjoyable. But, now, there are a number of apps that work as a TV and have more features than a real Television. Roku TV is one of them and is a well-known app too. This app has a number of features like voice control, sharing photos, videos, and music, a private listening option, a quick search option across thousands of channels, a convenient remote option, and so on. Well, another interesting feature about which most users are not aware is that you can also Cast to Roku TV via PC or Smartphone.
Moreover, many people love to buy a Roku TV device and only use it to stream content on a device (via the Roku remote). But, many people do not recognize that you can also cast to Roku TV from a PC or mobile device and this feature is compatible with desktop PC, laptops, tablets, or smartphones. However, you can cast the media content from Chromecast (compatible apps available) or screen mirror your device and watch the TV shows and movies on your Roku device. Well, in this article, we will let you know what are the requirements to prepare a Roku TV, how to cast to Roku TV whatever you like. So, let’s get started!
What is actually meant by Screen Mirroring and Casting?
Screen mirroring and casting, generally, both terms have the same meanings. There are a number of apps that have a built-in Chromecast feature like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and so on (either on PC or Mobile). These apps have a cast option that lets you enjoy the movies on a big screen and also, you can use a device like a remote (to use playback control).
However, if apps are not compatible with the Chromecast feature then, you have to screen mirror your whole device to your streaming device to watch the content and enjoy it fully.
Enable the Screen Mirror option on Roku
Before moving further firstly, you have to enable the screen mirror option on the Roku TV app. Well, to do so, follow the simple steps given below:
- Turn on the Roku device then, navigate to the settings option
- Select the system option from a list that appears and choose the Screen Mirroring option
- Now, select the Screen mirroring mode option
- Finally, select the suitable option of your choice from the three
Prompt – You will get a prompt on your Roku device when a screen mirroring request comes
Always Allow – Without any prompt, casting will be done
Never Allow – Screen mirroring will be blocked without any prompt
Moreover, after selecting the suitable option now, it’s time to know how to cast on Roku TV app. Well, Roku can be cast in two ways i.e., either from Smartphone or from PC. So, let’s go ahead!
Cast Roku TV from Android or iOS
To cast a Roku TV from an Android or iOS device then, follow the simple steps given below:
- Connect your smartphone and Roku device via the same internet connection
- Download and install the Roku TV app (i.e., to cast the content) either from App Store or Play Store
- Click the Cast icon placed before the three dots icon on a top right corner of a screen (but, sometimes you see the Cast icon when you play a video)
- From the list of available devices that appears in a separate window, select your Roku TV device
That’s it, the app will be cast on your Roku device, and now, you can be able to watch the media content.
Cast Roku TV from PC
To cast a Roku TV from a PC then, follow the simple steps given below:
- Head to the start menu and in a search bar, type the Project Settings option and click it
- Select the Connect to a wireless display option (placed at the bottom) from a list that appears. However, the Roku TV device effectively recasts the television (it is connected to) into a wireless display that supports Miracast.
- Now, from the list of available devices, select your Roku TV device
Moreover, now, your TV will show your computer’s display screen. Well, this is considered a great way to provide meetups (or give presentations to others) who are in the room but are unable to see your computer display.
Furthermore, there is another way to cast a Roku TV and the steps are the following:
- Launch the Google Chrome app on your PC
- Now, visit the website or open the media file (i.e., where you want to stream the content)
- Click the three dots icon placed on the top right side and select the cast option from a list that appears. Alternatively, right-click anywhere on a screen and select the cast option.
- Finally, from the list of available devices, select your Roku TV device. That’s it!
Cast Unsupported Videos to Roku TV
You can’t directly cast an unsupported video to Roku TV, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it at all. There is an online app called Web Video Cast that can do this thing for you. This app is available on Play Store and the App Store. Here is how it works:
- Install and open the app and visit the website whose video you want to cast to Roku TV.
- When you open the video, Web Video Cast will ask where you want to cast it. Choose the connect cast option and select your device.
- If you can’t see your device, tap the gear icon on the top, scroll down and choose Roku devices, and tap on Done.
- Now, you’ll see your Roku device, if you can’t find it using the IP address using your router.
Once done, you’ll see the unsupported video being cast to your Roku TV. This is the only way to cast the unsupported videos properly.